Hello Lovelies! Normally I'm am being silly whenever I am posting but I find that it's time for me to get a lil serious today. You all know that I am a huge advocate for taking care of yourself AND your family. I mean if you aren't healthy, how will you possibly care for your family - let alone be able to be "pleasant" to those around you?
You know what I mean, the saying goes, "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" While it's funny it is also very true. I have been chatting with a few girlfriends of mine even a female relative or two who have all been struggling to take care of their families and have long forgotten about themselves, so that being said, we have to take action....take off your rubber gloves, burn your apron, put down the Lysol, drop the broom and listen up! Okay.... so I am still being a lil silly but I just can't help it.
Here's some more ways that you can do a lil' something just for yourself:
1. When you are feeling overwhelmed with everyday responsibility, Stop. Take a few deep breaths, put your feet up and even if it is just 30 seconds of breathing and sitting down ITS WORTH IT! Don't tell me you don't have 30 seconds now... better get off the computer a lil sooner ;) Sometimes just stopping to breathe when we are tense is just enough to relax us & keep us moving on with our day. Its serious! There's even evidence to back it up, Check out this article.
2. After taking a deep breath, if you don't live in a 20 degree area, go for a walk. I used to make every excuse in the book NOT to go outside. It's too hot, it's too cold but the truth is that staying inside all of your days is a recipe for falling into a deep depression. NO.JOKE. I have been a victim of it and it is hard to battle as a lonely stay at home mom. if you have a friend go out with her, if you have family go out to see them, if you have no one I'm here for you and know that i have been there and emerged victorious! This is one not to miss! Bonus? You get to experience the beauty of God's nature and you'll be good when you get back home.
3. Make some time for you during the week. I don't mean just 5 - 10 minutes but I mean legitimate time away from your home & children. You don't have to spend money either, if its cold where you are go to a library ( Peace & quiet ahhh!!!!) if its warm go to the mall and just
window shop. If you have a few bucks treat yourself to a nice dessert or a latte - with extra whipped cream..... okay back to reality, point is whatever you do, do it for you ;) Not only is it fun but I promise you, you will be sooo happy when you come back to your little ones!
4. Exercise. Now I must caution you that exercise is my arch enemy but it's necessary for a healthy mind, body AND Spirit. You all know that I'm a God fearing woman, the truth is He created us in those three mediums to operate as one. Sound familiar? Anyhoo, you cannot deny the physical aspect of your body and not expect your mind & body not to be affected. I don't like highly aerobic workouts cause they can be hard on my body but stretching is wonderful for you. If you struggle with sleep as I do stretching before sleep will help to relax you, trust me as an insomniac, IT WORKS!
5. Get rest. I cannot say this enough! If you are not sleeping your body is not being replenished or repaired. I stand guilty as charged. I am notorious for burning myself out so badly that I become sick or worse. Even God rested on the seventh day! I mean seriously, if He being infinite in all His might took a load off, how much more should we being fragile? Don't get me wrong we
are strong but to deny ourselves the very thing we were created to do can't be right. That why the shops close, lights are turned off and things shut down. Just in case you didn't know we as the women of the household are the captains of the ship we call home (not to deny the husbands authority). If you let go of the steering wheel & forget about our responsibility to ourselves AND those on board... where will everyone end up?
Take that time....you know the rest.
Ladies if you have any other advice or comments please weigh in with what works for you. You never know how you may encourage someone by just sharing how you make it happen.
- Just a thought.....